WHO WE ARE
Hamilton Duncan is one of the Fraser Valley’s largest and most well-established law firms, boasting a team of more than 30 talented lawyers and 60 excellent support staff. Located in Surrey – one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada – we provide high-end legal services to a wide variety of clients in an assortment of engaging and challenging matters across diverse areas of practice.
We pride ourselves on a commitment to our community and our collegial workplace. We want people who value a culture and management style that fosters collaboration and respect while rewarding individual responsibility, initiative and creativity and providing opportunities for further development.
WHO WE NEED
As a Legal Administrative Assistant, you will support our Land Development department. Your work will help fuel the success of our team and our clients, and you will be provided with support to develop your skillset within the legal profession.
WHY YOU’LL WANT TO WORK WITH US
We ask a lot of our people, so we try to give a lot in return. In addition to a competitive salary, we think you’ll love these other benefits of working at Hamilton Duncan:
- Health and wellness: Take care of yourself and your family with our comprehensive benefits plan that includes extended medical, dental, vision, critical illness and life insurance coverages, as well as an employee assistance program for those trying times. Sick leave days ensure that you don’t choose between your health and your income.
- Plan for your future: Once you’ve been with us for a year, you will be eligible to participate in our group RRSP program, and we will match a portion of your contributions.
- Develop your skills: Successful applicants to our continuing education program get some or all of their tuition reimbursed for further law-related skills training.
- Location: Get to work quickly thanks to our highly accessible office location (directly adjacent to the Gateway SkyTrain station) with an on-site fitness facility.
- Additional comforts: Enjoy coming to work in jeans every Friday, leaving an hour early before long weekends and all summer weekends and socializing with your colleagues at our regular social functions.
WHO YOU ARE
To be considered for this role, your application should demonstrate the following:
- Experience: 5+ years as a Legal Assistant in a similar role with comparable responsibilities.
- Education: A legal administrative assistant certification from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Skills: You must have a strong working knowledge of court rules and procedures; proficiency with typical law office computing systems (Microsoft® Office applications, Worldox, BC Online, ESILaw 360), superior organizational and interpersonal skills, the ability to handle a high volume of work with tight deadlines and keen attention to detail. You should have a strong understanding of BC Land Title Office registration requirements and experience with e-filing.
- Characteristics: You should be self-motivated and thrive on solving problems both independently and with the team. You are a proactive self-starter who has a positive and energetic attitude. You understand the importance of exercising discretion and confidentiality, and can adapt to ever-changing responsibilities. The position can be demanding, meaning that you need to be calm under pressure and eager to take on challenges. We take pride in the quality of our work, so we hope you do too.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will be an integral part of our land development team, critical to the success of both the lawyers you work with and our clients. Along your journey of providing invaluable assistance to our clients with their challenges, you will be responsible for:
- Administering clients’ files, including file opening (conflict searches, client identifications and other tasks), scanning documents, filing (primarily electronically), billing and file closings (reporting letters).
- Preparing and filing of land title documents to Land Title Office for development projects (ie: Covenants, Easements, SRW Applications to Deposit Plans, Local Government Notice).
- Conducting BC Online and Land Title Office searches (title searches, BC assessments, company searches, etc.).
- Filing development disclosure statements and submitting appropriate documentation to the BCFSA.
- Acting as the point person for development pre-sale contracts and deposits; handle deposit releases pursuant to the Deposit Protection Insurance Act.
- Preparing various forms including: Form A Transfer, Property Transfer Tax Form, and Land Owner Transparency Registry Form
- Drafting various correspondence to clients.
- Maintaining development pre-sale deposit spreadsheet.
- Communicating with vendors, purchasers, financial institutions, lenders, clients, lawyers, realtors, brokers and others as required in a timely fashion.
- Liaising with legal assistants, paralegals, and lawyers on file progress.
- Completing any other administrative duties as requested/required.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re ready to advance your career and join our team at Hamilton Duncan, act now by emailing your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Manager, Andrea Pantages, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our firm and keep all applications on file in the event of future opportunities. Only those shortlisted for interviews for this position will be contacted as a part of this recruiting effort.