Barbara has over 20 years of experience practicing in the areas of estate and trust administration and estate planning.
She advises executors, trustees and beneficiaries regarding estate and trust administration matters. She has extensive experience in all areas of estate administration, including informing executors and trustees of their duties and powers, obtaining grants of probate and administration, and dealing with multi-jurisdictional issues, such as non-Canadian beneficiaries and foreign assets.
Barbara also assists her clients by crafting estate plans which meet their unique circumstances, including the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements for health care, and domestic trusts, such as alter ego, joint partner and family trusts. Her practice also includes litigation involving the interpretation of wills and trust documents, the removal and replacement of trustees, and the passing of personal representatives’ accounts.
Prior to joining Hamilton Duncan, Barbara was a partner of a large regional law firm in downtown Vancouver. She has also worked for the Office of the Public Trustee and for a large Canadian financial institution where she prepared estate plans for the high net worth clients of the bank.
Barbara has been recognized by Lexpert as repeatedly recommended in the area of Estate and Tax Planning. She was also part of the team that received the 2016 Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (“STEP”) global Private Client Legal Team of the Year (midsize firm) award.
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Wills and Trusts Section, Women Lawyers Forum, Vancouver Branch, Member
- Past Chair of STEP, Vancouver Branch
- Fraser Valley Estate Planning Council, Member
- Estate Planning Council, Vancouver, Former Member
- Women Lawyers Forum and UBC Faculty of Law Mentorship Programs, Former Member
- Presenter, “Current Issues in Estate Planning” at the Chartered Professional Accountants BC Seminar on May 12, 2018
- Presenter, “Why did I agree to do this?” vs. “Where’s my money?” held by the Fraser Valley Estate Planning Council on March 6, 2018.
- Presenter, “Decision Making Basics: The Building Blocks” at the Essential Tools for Disability Planning and Practice program held by the Pacific Business and Law Institute on April 12, 2016.
- Co-Chair and Presenter at the Most Litigated Estates Issues: Proactive and Reactive Solutions program held by the Pacific Business and Law Institute on September 29, 2015.
- Presenter, “Digital Property and Who Owns it?” at the Advocis 2014 Estate and Financial Planning Conference held on October 29, 2014.
- Presenter, “Digital Assets and Death” live webinar hosted by the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC and broadcast on September 23, 2014.
- Moderator, “Enduring Powers of Attorney: A Necessary Evil” session at the 16th National STEP Canada Conference on June 16, 2014.
- Sun Run Clinic Leader