Gurminder is a civil litigator specializing in insurance defence as well as representing clients in commercial, construction, real estate and employment disputes.
In his approach to law, Gurminder focuses on being efficient and on truly listening to all parties. This often creates opportunities to uncover objectives early on in the process and, ultimately, to facilitate a satisfactory resolution.
Gurminder consistently works to make the practice of law better for his colleagues inside and outside the firm. Whether he is sharing practice advice, volunteering on one of many committees or mentoring law students, Gurminder can be counted on to make a valuable contribution to any task he is involved in.
In recognition of his contribution to the legal community, The Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia Branch honoured Gurminder with its 2011 Certificate of Appreciation.
• Effectively acted for businesses in various commercial and business disputes
• Successfully litigated property and serious injury claims.
• Efficiently acted as lead counsel in a short-fuse, five week, multi-million dollar chronic pain trial.
• Successfully acted as counsel in summary trial and multi-day court hearings.
- PLTC, Course Material re: Civil Litigation (August 2019)
- Submissions on behalf Canadian Bar Association (BC) to BC Supreme Court Rules Revision Committee re: Audiotaping IMEs (December 2014)
- Submissions on behalf of Canadian Bar Association (BC) to BC Utilities Commission re: ICBC Rates (2013-2014)
- The BC Broker, “The Road Less Travelled” (June 2005)
- Clark Wilson Presentation, “Design Professionals’ Errors & Omissions Insurance Coverage” (January 2005)
- CLE, Part 7 Benefits (March 2003)
- BC Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Manual, Chapter on Defences (December 2002)
- CLE Commercial Litigation for Legal Support Staff, Chapter on Security for Costs (March 2000)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of BC
- Law Student Mentor, Thompson Rivers University (2011-2020)
- Volunteer Judge, PLTC Mock Civil Trial & Chambers Practice (2003-2013; 2017-2020)
- Member CBA Provincial Court Judicial Advisory Committee (2011-2020)
- CBA Sections: Insurance, ADR & Legal Research (Executive Member 2015 – 2020; Chair 2017 – 2019)
- Member CBA Awards Committee (2018-2019)
- Elected Member, CBA BC Provincial Council (2008-2011, 2016-2019)
- Law Student Mentor, University of British Columbia (2017)
- Secretary/Executive, South Asian Bar Association (BC) (2008-2010)
- Member CBA BarTalk Editorial Committee (2013)
- Volunteer, CBA Practice Advisory Panel (2012)
- Volunteer Lawyer, Salvation Army Pro Bono Clinic (2001-2012)
- CBA BC Certificate of Appreciation
- Member CBA Automobile Insurance Committee (2011)
- Member South Association Bar Association (BC) Scholarship Committee (2009)
- Co-chair, South Asian Bar Association 2nd Annual Fall Conference (2009)
- Volunteer Lawyer, Law Students’ Legal Advice Program (2001-2008)