James Stewart is a senior commercial partner with Hamilton Duncan. He advises clients on all aspects of dealing with real estate and creating and operating businesses. He is experienced in real estate development and subdivision, joint ventures, residential and commercial transfers, leasing and financing secured by real estate. James often deals with real estate projects from beginning to end, from the acquisition of the land through development and construction to the eventual sale of the project. He also advises clients with respect to incorporation and company law, general and limited partnerships, buying and selling businesses and the assets used in those businesses, and drafting the contracts required for the proper and successful operation of any commercial enterprise.
James has also practiced extensively in the area of personal planning through the use of wills, estate plans, estate administration and probate law, and through the use of powers of attorney and representation agreements to appoint alternate decision makers.
James has practiced in Surrey since 1980 and has been a resident here since 1995. He is a very active member of our community. He regularly volunteers his time for various boards and fundraising activities and has a passion for building relationships within Surrey and seeing the City grow and prosper.
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Surrey Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- In partnership with the Business Improvement Association, watch James Stewart talk about the potentials of Downtown Surrey here.
- Chair and Past Chair, Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association
- Member, Board of Governors – Simon Fraser University
- Chair, SFU Surrey Community Advisory Council
- Director, Health Tech Innovation Foundation
- Former Member, City of Surrey Environmental and Sustainability Advisory Committee
- Member, Mayor’s Health Tech Working Group
- Member, Health Care Practitioner’s Special Committee For Audit
- Member, Community Advisory Committee, Surrey Winter Shelter
- Member, Community Advisory Committee, Boulevard Shelter
- Governor, Surrey Board of Trade
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Club International
- Surrey Community Leader of the Year, 2010
- President, Surrey Board of Trade, 2009 – 2010
- Director and Vice-President, Surrey Board of Trade, 2000 – 2009
- Former Vice-Chair, Child Development Foundation
- Former Chair, Centre for Child Development
- Former President, Make-A-Wish Foundation of Canada
- Former Chair, Legal Services, Surrey 2012 BC Summer Games
- Former Director, Abbotsford Airport Authority