James Woods is a business, real estate and estate planning lawyer who has practiced law since 2007.
As a commercial lawyer, James advises clients on forming or buying a business, leasing, employment matters, shareholder agreements, loan agreements, reorganizing and selling a business. He has acted for banks and credit unions in the preparation of commercial and residential loan security.
On real estate matters, James works with clients on the acquisition, development and sale of land interests and related matters such as financing, due diligence, the preparation of disclosure statements and development-related agreements.
James assists clients with their estate planning by preparing wills, trusts, powers of attorney and representation agreements and handling probate applications and estate administration. Recently, he earned the Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) designation from the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
James has worked at large and small firms for clients ranging from owner-operated companies to major multinationals. He provides diligent and responsive service in a straightforward manner.
James joined Hamilton Duncan in 2019. He is a past chair of the New Westminster Chamber of Commerce and spends most of his time outside the office trying to keep up with his three young sons.
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Banking Law Section, CBA, BC Branch
- Business Law Section, CBA, BC Branch
- Real Estate Law Section, CBA, BC Branch
- Wills & Estates Law Section, CBA, BC Branch
- Law Society of British Columbia
- BC Federation of Foster Parents Associations, The Benefits of Charitable Giving
- Co-presentation with Scotiabank, Estate Planning Strategies
- YMCA New Ventures Network, Startups 101
- NWSS Continuing Education, Condo Law Basics
- Chair, Past Chair, and Director, New Westminster Chamber of Commerce, 2012-2017
- Coach, Royal City Youth Soccer Club, 2017-2018
- Board advisor, Burnaby Neighbourhood House, 2009-2012
- Affiliate, SFU Venture Connection (Surrey), providing pro bono advice to student entrepreneurs, 2011 – 2013
- Director, Calgary Cinematheque Society, 2007 – 2008